20/20 Vision for 2020
20/20 Vision for 2020
For most of us, there is a “winding down” as one year draws to a close, and as a New Year begins to dawn. Part of this is spending time reflecting on the relationships, connections, and outcomes that have transpired, while looking deep within to process, sift, and sort.
This is healthy. Living with intention and focus is key to holistic success, and it is difficult to have intention without self-awareness and reflection. It is often at the Sunset of an Old Year, and at the Sunrise of a New Year that clarity speaks. “January” got its name from the Roman god Janus, who was a man with two faces. One looked backward, while the other looked forward. A New Year provides a valuable opportunity to ponder the past Year while anticipating the future Year.
I have shared this recently, but for me, 2020 is so significant that I started preparing for it in the summer of 2019. Beyond just a number, 2020 represents the start of the 3rd decade of the 3rd millennium, and I think that’s cool. And, a new decade represents an opportunity to review not just a year, but a decade, and prepare to next-level the next-decade!
This coming decade – and 2020 – is a blank canvas yearning for your creativity, imagination, and artistry. It is a piece of clay aching for us to shape it. It is longing for our positive and meaningful imprint. What lies before us in the decade, and in a year called “2020” is opportunity, possibility, and potential.
That being said, I want to share a few thoughts with you as we gaze upon the Sunset of an Old Year, and into the Sunrise of a New Year. I have spent some time pondering my 2019 in gratitude and appreciation, seeking to glean what I can from the journey itself, and all I’ve experienced. This has birthed some critical moments of awareness for me, which I hope will be helpful for you. Please reflect with me on a 20/20 Vision for 2020, a vision of Authenticity, Alignment, and Abundance.
Authenticity is being real, genuine, or authentic.
It is about not being a copy or imitation of something or someone else, but it is about being true to who you really are. Only the truth of who you really are, when you fully realize it, will set you free. It takes courage and bravery to be who you really are. We live in a world that seems to reward a lack of authenticity, and appears to honor those who are airbrushed, artificial, and manufactured. A 20/20 Vision for 2020 with Authenticity will involve being genuine and being real, because Authenticity starts in the heart. Authenticity is fierce and unyielding, vulnerable and transparent.
Authenticity does not quit or sit quietly on the sidelines. It requires courage. Authenticity involves being true to yourself, true to those you love, relentless in pursuing your passions, and fearless in seizing your dreams. I love this quote from one of my heroes, Oprah Winfrey, who said it best: “I had no idea that being your authentic self could make me as rich as I’ve become. If I had, I’d have done it a lot earlier.” A 20/20 Vision for 2020 will require Authenticity. Please take some time and ponder your Authenticity in 2019, and your intention around Authenticity for a New Year, and a new decade as 2020 begins.
A 20/20 Vision for 2020 will also require Alignment.
The most empowering condition of all is when your aspirations and ambitions line up with your attributes and actions, all working together to position you for your best life. THAT is Alignment. Alignment is arranging aspirations, ambitions, attributes, and actions so that they position you for your very best life. Aspiration is what you dream about; what you want. How you pursue your aspirations is your ambition. Your attributes are the unique capacities, abilities, and personality you were granted in order to achieve your aspirations. Your actions are the daily choices, habits and routines you employ in order to achieve your aspirations. When your aspirations, approaches, attributes, and actions are all lined up with one another so that they position you for your best life, you have Alignment. The truth is that when what you value and want and dream about does not match the life you are living, you have pain.
A 20/20 Vision for 2020 will also require Abundance.
Abundance is not about nicer cars, fatter bank accounts, or the accumulation of wealth for the sake of materialism. True Abundance is giving back: Having enough to meet your needs and the needs of those you love, along with capacity to impact others. In 2020, don’t look for Abundance, look to align authentically because Abundance itself is attracted to both Authenticity and Alignment. As we move into Authenticity and Alignment, Abundance flows easily.
I get the sense that navigating 2020 will be about managing volatility, uncertainty, complexity, and ambiguity (VUCA). It seems to me that precise clarity, clear direction, and a defined path will occur in some areas, but not in others. There will be areas of your life, relationships, career, and business where the route will be clear and specific, and yet other area where there will be uncertainty, lack of clarity, and even doubt. There will be so much we cannot control in 2020, and so let’s focus on that which we can control in order to live intelligently and with intention. Here are some anchors for your soul moving into 2020:
- Hope vs. Despair: As difficult as things may get, please remember that despair is always a choice, and so is hope.
- Faith vs. Fear: The only thing that stands between you and your dreams is fear, and yet the one critical element in fulfilling your dreams is faith. Feed your faith and not your fears.
- Spirituality vs. Materialism: Spirituality is not about a building, a habit, or a practice. It is a way of being, and a way of embracing a life based on reverence and values.
- Right vs. Wrong: Resist the temptation to classify, categorize, and in doing so, to judge.
- Genuineness vs. Comparison: In 2020, be who you are. Look within to discover who you are, to love who you are, and to honor who you are. Pain comes when we constantly deny ourselves the freedom to be who we really are.
- Clarity vs. Ambiguity: In 2020, the path will not always be clear. You may need to steer through ambiguity and uncertainty. Don’t lose your sense of purpose in these moments.
- Possibility vs. Limitation: For all of us, 2020 holds unique difficulties we have not yet imagined. Each difficulty is an opportunity to embrace possibility and opportunity, because though pain is mandatory, misery is always optional.
- Focus vs. Distraction: Focus is more important than either talent or intelligence. An old proverb tells us that if we chase two rabbits, both will escape. You might be hungry for two rabbits, and may really believe that you need both, but you don’t. Get focused, stay focused, and you will realize the object of your focus. Your focus determines your reality.
2020 will be all about Authenticity, Alignment, and Abundance, and a 20/20 Vision for 2020 will be all about navigating with Authenticity, Alignment, and Abundance.
In 2020, don’t look for Abundance, look to align authentically because Abundance itself is attracted to both Authenticity and Alignment. As we move into Authenticity and Alignment, Abundance will flow easily.
Missed our last blog? Click here to read our last blog post.
Join our FREE Masterclass
Attend the CCF's free 1-hour masterclass on How To Become A Life Coach and learn the secrets to becoming a life coach and making a difference in the world!
Reserve your spot today:
Connect with us on social
If you are searching for tips on growing your coaching business or career, and make a bigger impact, our social pages are for you.
Follow us on your favourite platform: